Timeline of House of Cards, from seasons one through four.
- Season 1 takes place from December 31, 2012 to November 1, 2013.
- Season 2 takes place from November 1, 2013 to October 30, 2014.
- Season 3 takes place from December 2014 to January 20, 2016.
- Season 4 takes place from January 20, 2016 to October 18, 2016.
- March 7th: Thomas Hammerschmidt is born in Berlin, Germany.
- November 5th: Francis J. Underwood is born in Gaffney, Cherokee County, South Carolina, United States of America.
- July 18th: Garrett Allan Walker is born in the United States of America.
- Claire Underwood is born in the United States of America.
- December 22nd: Zoe Barnes is born in Chicago, Illinois, United States of America.
- April 4th: Doug Stamper drank his last alcoholic drink.
- November 6th: Governor Garrett Walker of Colorado is elected the 45th President of the United States, Governor Jim Matthews of Pennsylvania is elected the 48th Vice President of the United States
- December 31st: Frank and Claire Underwood attend a New Year's Eve party with President-elect Garrett Walker, as well as Linda Vasquez, Vice President-elect Jim Matthews and, later revealed, Will Conway.
- January 1st: President-elect Garrett Walker's New Year's Eve party ends. (Chapter 1)
- January 3rd: Frank and Claire Underwood attend a symphony, where Frank checks Zoe Barnes out; Zoe Barnes receives an email from a colleague at the Washington Herald that shows a photograph of Frank checking her out. She then begins to research him and discovers their mutual interests in each other. (Chapter 1)
- January 21st: Garrett Walker is sworn in as the 45th President of the United States; Jim Matthews is sworn as the 48th Vice President of the United States. (Chapter 1)
- June 14th: Doug Stamper and Peter Russo attend an alcoholics anonymous meeting together. (Chapter 7)
- September 21st: Peter Russo is found dead in the passenger seat of his car from carbon monoxide poisoning. (Chapter 11)
- November 1st: Frank learns he will become Vice President. (Chapter 13)
- November 5th: Zoe Barnes is murdered. (Chapter 14)
- November: Frank is sworn in as Vice President of the United States. (Chapter 15)
- February 13th: President Garrett Walker delivers the 2014 State of the Union. (Chapter 16)
- July 14th - July 17th: Timeframe of Doug's travels and Ayla's investigation, following the "Way of Money".
- July 14th: Doug Stamper is given the order to fly to Kansas City and visit Lanagin's Adaho Gaming Casino; Frank and Garrett have a long and relaxed conversation in the White House. (Chapter 20)
- July 15th: Doug buys a plane a ticket to Beijing, to visit Xander Feng and confront him with Frank's accusations of collaboration with Lanagin in a money laundering scheme. (Chapter 20)
- July 16th: The Underwoods and the Walkers have a dinner together, Freddy cooks ribs for them, on Frank's request. (Chapter 20)
- July 17th: Doug returns to Washington, D.C., and is seen at Underwood's basement. (Chapter 20)
- October 28th: Frank and Tusk have a meeting in the basement of the Opera house; Frank uses his father's typewriter "Underwood", to send a letter and a declaration of guilt in the money laundering affair, which could legally unburden Walker if published, to Garrett. (Chapter 26)
- October 29th: Doug is hit in the head with a rock by Rachel Posner in some distant woods, after Rachel's try to escape from Doug's car. (Chapter 26)
- October 30th: Garrett Walker resigns from the office of President of the United States after lengthy contemplation with his wife; Frank Underwood is sworn in as the 46th President of the United States. (Chapter 26)
- November 4th: United States Midterm elections are held.
- December: Doug recovers in the hospital, where he's later questioned by the police and leaving them a false trail. (Chapter 27)
- January 20th: Doug wakes up in the hospital to see Claire by his side. (Chapter 27)
- April: Frank announces he will not seek re-election in 2016 in a TV address to the nation; also, he presents America Works for the first time to the press in the same address. (Chapter 28)
- May 5th: President Underwood hosts a State Dinner for Russian President Viktor Petrov, who later kisses the First Lady Underwood. (Chapter 29)
- May: Solicitor General Heather Dunbar announces her candidacy for President in 2016. (Chapter 30)
- June 30th: Doug is interviewed for a position in Heather Dunbar's campaign. (Chapter 31)
- July 1st: Barney Hull declares a state of emergency in Washington, D.C., after a deal to make him major, struck with Underwood. (Chapter 31)
- July 2nd: Tom Yates holds a book signing for his book Scorpio when he is confronted by Remy Danton. (Chapter 31)
- July 3rd: Bob Birch and Hector Mendoza confront Frank on his plan to divert funds from FEMA. (Chapter 31)
- July 4th: America Works begins hiring in Washington, D.C. (Chapter 31)
- July 23rd: President Underwood and the First Lady visit President Petrov, the President of Russia, in Russian Federation. (Chapter 32)
- July 24th: Claire publicly shames Petrov after the death of Michael Corrigan, although Frank's discouragement to do so. (Chapter 32)
- July 26th: The official White House portrait of the Presidential couple, Frank and Claire Underwood, is taken. (Chapter 33)
- August 14th: President Underwood gives a radio address on the 80th anniversary of the Social Security Act, and visits FDR's memorial later that day. (Chapter 33)
- September 7th: Hurricane Faith begins brewing off the East Coast. (Chapter 34)
- October 18th: A U.S. soldier is killed in a failed Jordan Valley operation authorised by Frank. (Chapter 35)
- December 16th: First Democratic Debate between Dunbar, Sharp, and Underwood. (Chapter 37)
- December 17th: Claire passes out while giving blood. (Chapter 37)
- January 19th: Frank wins the Iowa Caucus. (Chapter 39)
- January 20th: Claire leaves Frank; Frank campaigns in New Hampshire. (Chapter 39/40)
- March 7th: Frank campaigns in South Carolina; Claire arrives in South Carolina; LeAnn Harvey finds a photo of Frank's father with a KKK leader, later leading to a dirty smear campaign, supposedly lead by Oren Chase. (Chapter 42)
- March 8th: A photo of Frank's father with a KKK leader surfaces; Lucas Goodwin confronts Heather Dunbar; Frank loses the South Carolina primary. (Chapter 42)
- March 16th: Doug offers LeAnn the position of campaign manager. (Chapter 43)
- March 17th: President Underwood is shot by Lucas Goodwin while leaving a campaign event in Washington D.C., Vice President Blythe becomes Acting President of the United States. (Chapter 43)
- March 26th: Secretary Durant and First Lady Claire Underwood attend the G-8 summit in Brandenburg, Germany; President Underwood is taken into surgery for a kidney transplant. President Underwood arrives back at The White House after his operation. (Chapter 45)
- March 27th: G-8 summit concludes. (Chapter 45)
- March 28th: President Underwood resumes the powers and duties of the presidency. (Chapter 45)
- May 16th: Former Solicitor General Heather Dunbar announces she will suspend her 2016 Campaign for the Democratic Nomination. (Chapter 46)
- July 25th: Democratic National Convention - Day 1; During the Vice Presidential roll call vote, Texas casts all of its delegates for Claire. (Chapter 48)
- July 26th: Democratic National Convention - Day 2; Will Conway arrives in Atlanta and criticises Frank, the two end up having a meeting together; Louisiana delegates request that the Convention also votes on President. (Chapter 48)
- July 27th: Democratic National Convention - Day 3; (Chapter 49)
- July 28th: Democratic National Convention - Day 4; President Underwood becomes the nominee for Democratic Party, First Lady Claire Underwood becomes Vice Presidential nominee. (Chapter 49)
- October 16th: The first ever Presidential/Vice Presidential debate is held. (Chapter 51)
- October 17th: Conway moves into the White House and negotiates with Frank to bring home the captured hostages. (Chapter 51)
- October 18th: Washington Herald posts a scathing article about Frank Underwood. (Chapter 52)
- November 8th: The United States 2016 election are to be held.